Sunday, February 2, 2014

Suburban Growing Goodness

"It's difficult to think anything but pleasant thoughts while eating a homegrown tomato."  ~ Lewis Grizzard
There really is nothing more satisfying than enjoying the fruit of your own labors, fresh and delicious and bursting with a flavor that supermarkets just can't conjure up. Most of the men in my family have been keen gardeners, and some of my favorite childhood memories involve wandering around my grandfathers' allotments, crunching on fresh peas, sneaking juicy strawberries, or picking fat purple plums.

Now that I'm in college, minus a garden or much free time, it's a little difficult to keep up with the gardening, although I'm determined to see what vegetables I can grow in pots on the balcony.

I've also found an excellent resource to inspire me to suburban growing goodness. I wholeheartedly recommend Siloe Oliveira's YouTube channel "Suburban Homestead" to anyone who has thought about turning their little patch of lawn into something more productive.

The videos are informative, entertaining, and make growing your own extremely do-able. As spring is just around the corner, I encourage you to watch and be inspired! 

After all...
"To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul." ~ Alfred Austin
Episode one is below. Enjoy and subscribe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New blog site!

If you're wondering where I've been, well, life is busy, but I haven't completely abandoned writing! I'm actually tryin...